20 Questions with Zands Duggan
Zands plays hand percussion in our Robin Hood programme, which we premiered at Vienna's fantastic Konzerthaus back in January. You can also see him in our lockdown video of Scarborough Fair we posted recently - check it out!
Thanks for answering our silly questions (some fantastic answers here!) and we can't wait to work with you again soon!
1. Do you have any secret talents? I’m amazing at grabber hand machines that you see in service stations.
2. What's your favourite film/series? Film: the square / Series: Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. What’s your star sign and do you fit the description? Capricorn. From what I just read on horoscope.com, I don’t fit the description in any way.
4. Where in the world would you like to visit and why? At the moment, I’d settle for a trip to South London. But when normality resumes, the Japanese Alps.
5. Which 3 people from past or present would be at your fantasy dinner party? Jacinda Adern, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson… so that Jacinda can impart some wisdom and teach some lessons on how to be a true leader.
6. You have £100 to spend, all of your friends and family are busy, and you have the day to yourself. What do you do? Rent a speed boat & bomb it up and down the Thames.
7. Which Hogwarts house are you in? Gryfindor obvs.
8. List your favourite composers! Bach, Coltrane, Stravinsky, Thom Yorke
9. Share one of your favourite memories from working with Fair Oriana so far. Being onstage at the Mozart Saal, Vienna
10. If you could spend a day in any time period, Which would it be and why? Early 1800s to check out a Beethoven premiere.
11. Who are your major musical influences? A drummer called Mark Guiliana, another drummer called Brain Blade, a percussionist
called Jamey Haddad, Brain Eno & David Byrne.
12. Favourite thing to do in your spare time? Paddle boarding
13. Best thing about being a professional musician? Meeting interesting people in interesting places.
14. Worst thing about being a professional musician? Missing social events
15. What's you favourite book? Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
16. If you had to swap instruments for a day, what would you play? Probably mandolin (bluegrass style)
17. 3 words you associate with Fair Oriana? Innovative, entertaining, virtuosic.
18. If you weren’t a musician what would you like to do? Work for NASA (probably making the teas)
19. Most embarrassing on stage moment? The handle to a clash cymbal breaking mid strike. I had to watch the cymbal loudly roll through the orchestra to land at the foot of the conductor’s podium.
20. Message to Fair Oriana followers. Can’t wait to meet you at future LIVE performances!