20 questions for viol player Harry Buckoke!
1. Do you have any secret talents?
Playing Lirone! (I’m hoping it’ll become less secret)
2. What's your favourite film/series?
Perhaps it’s Farewell My Concubine. I think it’s an extraordinary film about music in a changing world.
3. What’s your star sign and do you fit the description?
Aquarius and yes - I think.
4. Where in the world would you like to visit and why?
Right now, anywhere for any reason sounds great.
5. Which 3 people from past or present would be at your fantasy dinner party?
Margaret Cavendish (She’s a 17th century science fiction writer and poet), Jordi Savall, Mahmoud Darwish.
6. You have £100 to spend, all of your friends and family are busy, and you have the day to yourself. What do you do?
I’d spend it on poetry, noodles and coffee.
7. Which Hogwarts house are you in? (If you don't know, head to Pottermore and get sorted immediately!)
8. List your favourite composers!
Purcell, Beethoven, Couperin.
9. Share one of your favourite memories from working with Fair Oriana so far.
Performing the Trials and Triumphs programme in All Hallows By The Tower. Before the concert I had been to see the Roman and Celtic artifacts discovered in the crypts below the church. The concert, which opened with Fraser Wilson’s setting of Psalm 118 in Latin, felt continuous with all that had happened in that place.
10. If you could spend a day in any time period, Which would it be and why?
I’d love to hear epic poetry performed, so either in Ancient Greece maybe some of the Nordic sagas.
11. Who are your major musical influences?
My parents are musicians so them for sure. I Studied with Paolo Pandolfo in Basel last year who changed my both my musical thinking and taste.
12. Favourite thing to do in your spare time?
I love reading. I also really enjoy eating and therefore cooking.
13. Best thing about being a professional musician?
The feeling of a shared sense of time between performers.
14. Worst thing about being a professional musician?
The amount of administrative work that is entirely speculative.
15. What's you favourite book?
His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman
16. If you had to swap instruments for a day, what would you play?
I’d sing or play violin.
17. 3 words you associate with Fair Oriana?
Strong, Theatrical, Tea
18. If you weren’t a musician what would you like to do?
19. Most embarrassing on stage moment?
I was playing for an opera performed outside. The harpsichord was being lent to the group on strict instructions it be kept bone dry. Midway through the opera it began to rain. The harpsichordist gave me the sign and we stopped midway through a phrase picked up the harpsichord and dashed to cover past the very surprised audience.
20. Message to Fair Oriana followers.
Hope everyone is happy and suitably caffeinated.